Adversity is all around.
I would like to start off this email with the story of Joseph Smith in Liberty jail Missouri. D&C 121:1-4, 7-9
Joseph's plead:1 O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place?
2 How long shall thy hand be stayed, and thine eye, yea thy pure eye, behold from the eternal heavens the wrongs of thy people and of thy servants, and thine ear be penetrated with their cries?
3 Yea, O Lord, how long shall they suffer these wrongs and unlawful oppressions, before thine heart shall be softened toward them, and thy bowels be moved with compassion toward them?
4 O Lord God Almighty, maker of heaven, earth, and seas, and of all things that in them are, and who controllest and subjectest the devil, and the dark and benighted dominion of Sheol—stretch forth thy hand; let thine eye pierce; let thy pavilion be taken up; let thy hiding place no longer be covered; let thine ear be inclined; let thine heart be softened, and thy bowels moved with compassion toward us.
The Lords answer to Joseph Smith:I would like to start off this email with the story of Joseph Smith in Liberty jail Missouri. D&C 121:1-4, 7-9
Joseph's plead:1 O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place?
2 How long shall thy hand be stayed, and thine eye, yea thy pure eye, behold from the eternal heavens the wrongs of thy people and of thy servants, and thine ear be penetrated with their cries?
3 Yea, O Lord, how long shall they suffer these wrongs and unlawful oppressions, before thine heart shall be softened toward them, and thy bowels be moved with compassion toward them?
4 O Lord God Almighty, maker of heaven, earth, and seas, and of all things that in them are, and who controllest and subjectest the devil, and the dark and benighted dominion of Sheol—stretch forth thy hand; let thine eye pierce; let thy pavilion be taken up; let thy hiding place no longer be covered; let thine ear be inclined; let thine heart be softened, and thy bowels moved with compassion toward us.
7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
The words, “if thou endure it well” are key words. It is not the adversity itself that defines us, it is how we respond to that adversity that makes the difference.
If we are not careful, we become our own worst enemy and allow adversity to bring us to defeat. We look down, away from God, and begin to wallow in our own misery. We forget that looking up is the key. We forget that “enduing it well” means to just stand back up after we take a bad fall, brush ourselves off and find our courage to smile again. We might be a bit bruised; maybe even broken, but if we stand back up, smile and look to God – that is when we begin to heal. That is how we begin to “endure it well.”
At times we will each have the opportunity to deal with adversity. That is just part of the plan. Adversity will come in many forms. It can come as physical sickness, disability or injury. It can come in the form of emotional pain, discouragement, disappointment or depression. These forms of adversity are often caused by the loss of loved ones, frustrated plans, lost hopes, accidents or the actions of others. The reality is that we cannot avoid adversity but we can control how we deal with it! And this week I dealt with one of those things, Sickness. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and some of Thursday It hit me and hit me hard. I didn't want to do anything and didn't want to go out. But Sister Ames famous quot in the mission is, "Fake it until you make it." and that's what I did. I had to keep telling myself that quot and What would the lord have me do. I went on an exchange with Elder Munoz and in one of the lessons he pulled out D&C 121 and read that experience to less active that is struggling. Elder Munoz meant it to be for the member but it also hit me. My sickness was just a little adversity compared to what the Saints were going through and I did not endure it as well as I could have. But I was great for it! I learned what I really could do with adversity.
On Sunday (Sadie) had her baptism interview and she passed with flying colors!! Her date is set for August 2nd and she is looking forward to it. She is a testimony builder to me that people are being prepared at this time (Alma 13:24) Honestly I had no part in her conversion because she was already there. She just needed someone to guide her. I'm so glad I got to see her find the church and she loves it! she hasn't missed a week since we found her. Everything we teach she accepts it and then wants more. she is participating in RS and has made lots of friends. She is in good hands and the lord has provided a way!! How Great is Your Calling!! My Missionary Commission
No comments:
Post a Comment